Chinese begraafplaats

Han Go attendeerde mij op dit artikel van Claudine Salmon: the chinese community of Surabaya from its origins to the 1930s crisis, Chinese Southern Diaspora Studies, Volume 3, 2009:22-60.

Het volgende stuk op pagina 24/25 verwijst naar de eerste begraafplaats van onze overgrootouders en onze grootouders:

………..The cemeteries which would have provided precise details on long-established families such as the Tan , Liem 林, Kwee 郭, Ong 王, Oei 黄, Han , The , Tjoa 蔡, Tjioe 周, Teng 唐, Oen 温 and the Tjia have gradually disappeared. We no longer know the site of the first cemetery, dating from the mid-eighteenth century, which became overcrowded enough for another to be created. The latter, known as Sentiong or Xinzhong 新冢 [New Cemetery], is first mentioned on the funerary tablet of a certain Chen (Tan) Heguan 和官, who was born in 1672 and died in 1744. Although there was no indication of the site of this “New Cemetery”, evidence suggests it was behind the then Chinese quarter, in the area now known as Pasar Bong, literally the “Market of the Chinese Tombs”. This cemetery features clearly on an 1821 manuscript map of Surabaya drawn up by A. V. Moesbuge and D. V. Hoeve (recopied in 1825 by N. H. Bornhoff), and called Chineesche kerkhof. The Chinese quarter lay on its western and southern borders; to the north were the housing blocks opening onto Jl. Kembang, and on the east lay Jl. Slompretan. At the time a market called Pasar Bong already existed just opposite, on land situated to the east of Jl. Sompretan. The same cemetery appears again on a map printed in 1905, but smaller, with constructions encroaching on its boundaries. It continued, and currently it seems that only one tomb remains………

Geef een reactie

Het e-mailadres wordt niet gepubliceerd. Vereiste velden zijn gemarkeerd met *